Sunday, April 19, 2009

miniTHON

Dance. Dance.

First we "learned" the miniTHON line dance. Unfortunately, there weren't enough repetitions for us to really get a handle. The first time they organized it without Morgan leading the demonstration we could barely get past the first steps. The dancing was free form from then on, with the best songs being played while the playlist was fresh and the public was there. The Battle of the Beanfield, my group, (named hastily when it was on the list of "awesome things from Wikipedia" I was carrying around with me) danced quite enthusiastically, receiving recognition from teachers in the form of "tickets." These tickets, along with donations from the public or group members, decided who would "win" at the end of the night. Some serious air guitaring on my part led to a small shout out from Nick L. and another point for us. The first activity required all of the dancers to line up by birthday to divide them into random groups. My randomly chosen team took third in the first round of relays, moving on to the finals, and first overall. At some point we got back to our original members, and they forced us to "caterpillar." This requires the first person in line to put their ankles on the second's shoulders while kneeling and so on and so forth down the line. It was a terrible set up that had no research put into it as no group could finish. Back to dancing! Pizza at eleven was good. Jimmy and Josh realized that my group member, Margo, didn't know when they were joking. Margo and I played ping pong. Our ball went behind the bleachers. I found a cockroach. Rachel and I played badminton. We kicked butt and got tickets for enthusiasm. I got destroyed by Molly Cannon in ice cream tasting. Automm and I couldn't hear the music in DDR, so we both failed. However, we both rocked through the fire and flames on Guitar Hero. I sang Float On with Steve and ...someone else? We were the only group who very enthusiastically danced for the live band, Leaving Cash. They also gave us a bit of a shout out. TECHNOMANIA!! (didn't go so well because the techno sucked...) Right after a straight half hour of bouncing to computer generated beats, we began our "aerobic activity." A woman came up on stage to instruct us on "zoomba." Zoomba is a type of dance fitness with very sexy hip moving that has more the atmosphere of a party than instructional activity. It's following the instructor to the beat of the Latin hip hop while trying not to collapse. That went on for 45 minutes to my surprise. I was exhausted for the lack of break after techno. However, if it didn't cost money, that would be a great work out. One of the goals of the evening was to not sit down. Jimmy and I held hands when I gave in. Absence is the only way to appreciate something and I certainly take sitting for granted. Our team won the scavenger hunt, but everyone was disqualified for reasons we couldn't quite figure out. They still gave us tickets. Kerri was very badass with her sunglasses. Indoors. At night. Josh borrowed them pretending to be someone else in a quest for a second serving of ice cream. After the poorly organized dodgeball tournament around 3 or 4, it deteriorated into a loosely unenthusiastic milling about of people. Jimmy and Josh flashed the bat-signal in people's eyes. 5-6AM was fairly miserable. We were all sleepy, sore, and irritable. I danced from 6-6:30, the last of the night. Celebrating the end was magical. We sat as a group, listening to Nick say his whatevers. We raised $17,600 or so. Because we got out so early I got a ride home from Josh, who was also delivering Jimmy to his place of residence. The final word of the evening, Josh said, "and tomorrow we will all wake up and the world will still be the same."

Unrelated: I really like this music video.

No comments: