Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloweekend Update

Both Friday and Saturday saw my appearance at Temple band parties. The first was a Gratz Manor party, and my favorite party locale. Band parties here tend to be filled with people I know, great conversation, and an under-abundance of disgusting crap on the floor. I, as per usual, was a pirate. Molly, a non-band trumpet player from my floor, dressed as a hipster but "totally not a hipster." Katy, a band trumpet player, went as a dead lady. Together, us 1300 ladies traipsed up to J&H to pick up Gab, also non-band, dressed as a lumberjack. Though, for one terrifying second, we thought she was also a hipster.

At the party, Gab and Molly made their own friends, which is delightful for not having to babysit. However, Gab had a lumber-ganger. Unfortunately, he had a real beard, an axe, and sawdust, so Gab was assigned "Lumber Jack #2" of the party. I beer-ponged with Lumber Jack #1, and, because we were so dominating the table, had to eventually switch out team LumberPirate for Team Lumberjack, who promptly lost. An RA got so drunk that I had to walk him home after he puked on the sidewalk. He still had his 40 and would not allow me to throw it away. Molly was scandalized to find her trumpet teacher at the party. Katy got walked home by a Sousa boy. Gab made best friends with Matt and TJ. I, drinking [water] from a flask like a real pirate, discovered I had a flask buddy. The night was a huge success until I had to go back to my roommate and her bear-snoring boyfriend.

Saturday was the poppin' party. It was fairly hood, so we got a walking group together. Molly had gone home and Katy's kid brother was over. But Gab returned as Peter Pan, and I brought Shannon from my floor. She was a tea-bag, and went around tea-bagging other guests to much delight. Gab, unfortunately, also had a Peter Pan double this night, despite him being very post-pubescent and beardy. There was an abundance of witty, ironic, and generally creative costumes. The tallest girl in band was a leprechaun with a top hat that added roughly another foot to her height. One kid was "a piece of shit," another a "pot head." There was a Ferris Bueller, a pyramid, a Ms. Pac-Man + ghosts, the moon, JT and Andy from Dick in a Box sketch, TMNT's Shredder, the entire cast of Gilligan's island, and a full Gumby suit. Not to mention I was "Babe Lincoln" complemented by the appearance of a slightly more realistic, more naturally bearded Abe. While I was upset by the existence of another tiny top hat, our TA was "Double Rainbow" guy, and "double tiny top hats, all the way"'d us. Another great night with an even better ending, because I spent the night at Gab's.

I am terrified of alcohol. At parties, I don't drink. While most nights see me having equivalent, if not more, fun than a majority of guests, my mornings are definitively more fun than most peoples'. Part of the fear is how much alcohol will impact my life. I don't know at point people start losing their ability to have fun without alcohol. When we were little, we could spend hours and hours on a playground in perfect paradise. Now, it seems people drink to have fun. If I ever came to that, I wouldn't know I was. I would lose my identity. I don't know if I could love that person, or if everyone who loves me now could love me in the same way.

I'm tempted to find out "who is drunk Chloe?" Sober Chloe is nearly equivalent to a happy drunk, to the point it's difficult to convince drunk people that I've only had water through the night. A few guys have intimated they'd like to see me drunk, and that worries me a little bit. I've had discretion enough not to act on anything that would give me a reputation in band. I suspect intoxication would inhibit that discretion. Maybe I'm a terribly sad drunk, as a few kids are. It's almost certainly assured that I am a clumsy drunk.

A mummified octopus sounds like a great mash-up for a Halloween costume, and one of the most terrifying things to ever encounter in real life.

I'm always excited to tell Tina how my weekend went and hear about hers.

"it was a little romantic, but also tragic and sad"
-Viv's Halloweekend

No comments: