Saturday, February 19, 2011

First Day of Work

Thursday marked the first day of my first ever job, and I shouldn't even be getting paid for something so awesome. After a two day training session with Temple, I was certified to enter the Time Out program, where students serve as companions to the elderly while their caretakers take some time for themselves. The gentleman I've been matched with is a real wit, a former boxer and gym teacher. He's a good guy and in great physical shape. From 9-12, I talk to his grandkids, a girl and boy, ages 3 and 1 respectively. Once we're good to go, we walk to nearby activity centers and get our work out on. I burnt 200 calories on the bike my first day.

Walking to work from the subway, I passed a pimp cane in the trash with a gold diamond on top. What luck! I stashed it in an ally during work, then picked it back up leaving. After getting back to Temple, I retrieved my phone with Matt and then checked out the abandoned elementary school. It was the most gorgeous day for February, stupefyingly so. We just wore t-shirts while circling the building, and upon finding an open door, were met with an eerie flow of freezing wind. The sun hadn't even remotely touched the inner halls. We'll go back with a flashlight sometime in the future.

Upset about having to go the basketball game, I was doubly amused to find a.) Kit-Kats can be purchased on the meal plan, and b.) I had a package! Picking it up right before the game, I opened it in the Liacouras Center with smiles. It was a care package from Mrs. G., complete with cookies, gummies, gum, Wawa coupons, granola, fruit pieces, and a leprechaun hat. Of course, I shared the goodies with my band friends, collectively raising spirits as apparently nobody wanted to be at this game. That statement was reversed by the end of the night. Juan's confidence is back with a vengeance, and the ladies went wild. We got some dunks, and remain undefeated in Liacouras, defeating Richmond, with whom we'd been tied for something. Katy and I walked back to our hall afterward, where I finished a project then hurried over to Gab and Kira's for another lovely night. Sam showed up after some time, and we ventured down to J&H for fourth meal. It was a wonderful time.

No comments: