Sunday, June 26, 2011

Book Ends

At the end of each trip to Myrtle Beach, I repeatedly declare, "Last year was the best year of my life." It seems I've meant it more emphatically as time goes on. This year's reflections lingered on boys and growing up. My friends are stupendous. I've had the company of undeserving-ly great guys. The path to grown up-hood has made its presence known, even if exact route can't be found until the end. It's my last year as a teenage girl, and I've been blessed.

Once, when texting with Kate, I wanted to wide-eyed look her in the eyes and say, "You're so wise," in a semi-somber tone. It was true, but there's no way to for me to say that without sounding silly.

Last night, I said goodbye to Jeff (again). I was grateful for the second chance to do justice by our friendship. I laughed a lot and made both of his parents laugh, too. Ginger was not a fan of my jokes, though. There were chocolate chip cookies and fireworks. (Why there were fireworks, I don't know.) We shared a nice goodbye hug and I didn't cry, even when I was alone. It's scary that he's leaving right now, but it'll be a phenomenal story when he gets back.

No comments: