Friday, August 29, 2008

For sale: baby shoes, never worn.

Hemingway's famous six word short story. He distinguishes it his best work. Since then, other authors, particularly sci-fi, have attempted their own of the sort and a few were collected at this website. So maybe some are five words and some are seven, these are my favorite.

From torched skyscrapers, men grew wings.
- Gregory Maguire

It cost too much, staying human.
- Bruce Sterling

Rained, rained, rained, and never stopped.
- Howard Waldrop

“I couldn’t believe she’d shoot me.”
- Howard Chaykin

Despite disorders, jafroed jewboy gets girl.
- Michael Eisner

Thought I would have more impact.
- Kevin Clark

Heaven falls. Details at eleven.
- Robert Jordan

Please, this is everything, I swear.
- Orson Scott Card

whorl. Help! I'm caught in a time
- Darren Aronofsky and Ari Handel

Dorothy: "Fuck it, I'll stay here."
- Steven Meretzky

Will this do (lazy writer asked)?
- Ken MacLeod

No comments: