Saturday, November 8, 2008

Big Blue Bag

When my parents got separated my brother was too little to realize what it meant and his play was being hampered by this family discussion. We were never really exposed to the legal battle as our parents were very cordial about it, and the only real symbol of separation was the bag we used to move our things from house to house. It was called the big blue bag, a blue duffel bag that could be zippered into itself that we had so long my brother grew out of bringing his stuffed animal in it. Usually if we had to bring it to Concord Christian Academy, I would take it to my class and leave it with my backpack along the wall. I don't remember it ever weighing too much. Stuffed animals, clothes, seasonal things like bathing suits, and whatever game boys we had weren't a problem, and I really don't remember bringing anything else. Not sure where it is now, but it's the only thing that ever symbolically defined the divorce. Except maybe Delaware.

No comments: