Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Eve Party

Yesterday evening, nearing six o'clock, I shut down my laptop that finally got internet access (but causes Vista induced head explosions) and ate dinner. Getting ready to spend the night at someone's house is much easier when you don't intend to fall asleep for some reason. On the way to Jeff's house, there was a lot of good classic rock on the radio and I sang, though I don't think my dad did. It was "getting the Led out." Gina, Joey, Dom, and Jeff were there already, so Gina and I enjoyed a warm embrace after so long without. There were Jeff cookies and eventually he opened a bag of M&Ms as far as the best party food ever goes. The next people to arrive were Matt and his cousin, Nick, who I greeted with, "Are you the cousin who does robots? Trisha said you were cute. Not that I don't agree." The next guest to arrive was Trisha... Abby, Sarah, Hannah, and Shana showed up before going to Johnny Mackin's, which is where Dom as a chauffeur and Joey were headed as well. We played BLOKUS, and I lost the most, but helped other people cheat. Following BLOKUS was MarioKart64 which I got with Trisha at Gina's house. Eventually Jeff and I played ping-pong, then Nick and I, and within the first hour of the New Year, Nick, Matt, and 'Leesh. Jeff attempted to get me a forums account, but that didn't work, so we read creepy Wikipedia articles. Somehow it made me very sad that I wasn't horrified. Erik came bringing a beautiful Gingerbread lighthouse. Some of Johnny Mackin's came back. She got me juice that wasn't expired. It was nice. I drank the last of it as the clock hit 2009. I was playing Ping-Pong very soon after the ball dropped, and Jeff began asking people what their most and least favorite moments of 2009. I attempted to listen in, although I didn't want to make Nick sit through to stories he didn't know the background of. Many of them were surprising to me. I knew Sarah's least favorite, but didn't want to ask. Nobody asked me about my favorite or least favorite, so I talked about good memories, but not the memories. Around 1 AM, there was a terribly awkward conversation about the frustrating, unreasonable tragedy that are Gina's parents. I interrupted saying, "So almost all of my favorite memories of 2008 were in hammocks. I like hammocks, they're really relaxing!!" Eager for a change, most people chimed in to agree. Around 1 several people left, and Mrs. Glanfield was my first non-obligatory hug of 2009. I called her before I called my mom as far as Happy New Year's wishes go.

- - ---------

Gina had to leave around 2, and Abby and Sarah decided it would be awkward, and so we left. We made prank phone calls for around 2 hours, then I got really hungry and ate pizza with Hannah and Sarah. Then Hannah and I shared a can of Progressive Chicken Noodle. Shana got a "whoopie cushion" application on Abby's iPhone, we played a couple rounds of "would you rather," and Shana put whipped cream on Abby's face and hand. Sarah and I remembered how our freshman year totally kicked the freshmen years of Shana and Hannah. We explained general drumline relationships and how Gina and JoeKat had been the couple. At 6, Lexie, Sarah C., and Catey T. showed up to explain their fantastic evening. Around 7, Hannah, Shana, and I went outside to try to watch the sunrise. I explained skunk apes to Hannah and made her look it up on YouTube. Then I went inside, watched a few minutes of Entourage, then the end of The Land Before Time II. Woke up, felt crappy, went home, went to my mom's house, fell asleep, showered, wrote this.

No comments: