Friday, January 2, 2009

The Things I Threw Out

I cleaned my room today, completely and utterly, taking down things that have been hanging on my walls for years. Pulling out all sorts of materials from all sorts of crevices. These are some of the things I threw out:

A backpack
Several tacky purses
Lime green squishy pillow
Dasani "Mini Water Bottle" Box that I shaped into a mask for the pit water bottle cap fight in Viv's basement
Perfume set "FlowersbyKenzo"
Bath beads shaped like roses
Duke logo on cardboard
Polymer clay cat
Telephone chord
Tiny fake plastic spider
Poetry on Post-It Notes
Fairy wings
Christmas box
Wooden, painted on closet
Stickers from tween questions book
Penn State Plush Basketball
Jeff's paper CD cover
Reusable water bottle filled with unopened Crayola Glitter Glue tubes
RoseArt and PRANG colored pencils
Crayola crayons
Xavier Gibson's TI-30s
A full UNO deck
Full regular deck of cards
Tupperware container
Cookie tin with a pumpkin on it
Stretched out silk hair elastic
The heart balloon JoeKat gave me last Valentine's
A PEZ dispenser with a pumpkin at the top
Blue food dye
Toy pet carrier
Torn list of the books I want to read before I die
Awkward "getting your period" book
Half a plastic pirate sword
Coloring page of Uncle Sam I got from Trader Joe's when Viv and I went to buy veggie burger's for the 4th of July party at Sarah's
LEGO piece
Babysitter's Guide Folders from training course I took with Katy Creppon at Riddle
Business card with the handwritten numbers for 3 separate GameStops
Magnetic pencil holder for lockers
Pink and purple jump rope
Pit warm-up "Adelaide"
Broken Mardi Gras beads
Wooden display case

I just thought these things were interesting. Also to make room, I put all but four of my remaining stuffed animals away in a bag. I feel like I'm suffocating them. They are:

David, my bear from JoeKat
Tiger, the tiger Darrell gave me the last day of 4th grade because he wouldn't be able to make it to my birthday party because he was going to Dallas, Texas, but he brought me back a bracelet with Texan charms on them
Sarah, my white tiger I got from Toys 'R Us
Pumpkin, the singing, vibrating pumpkin my poppop gave me on his last Halloween
Sammy, the pink bear that Darrell gave me the Valentine's of 5th grade
Puppy, the little plush dog that Darrell gave me in 3rd grade as a secret admirer for Valentine's Day
Three plush kittens from Rehobeth, DE that my mom got me
Jasmine, the stuffed Jaguar I got at Build A Bear for Liana's birthday and Katy Creppon was there too and some of the money went to the World Wildlife Fund
Chico, the stuffed penguin I got at the Baltimore Aquarium named in honor of our 7th grade penguin adopted from the Philadelphia Zoo in Mr. Knight's class

I already gave away so many, these were the ones with the strongest memories.

2 comments:

Sparks-of-Magic said...

I have two awkward "you're going through puberty" books complete with pictures. They're in my closet.

No matter how old I get, my stuffed animals will always be alive for me, I don't think I could ever give them away unless I was sure they would be taken care of.

Don't you feel like you're throwing out memories? If I ever did such a clean sweep I would need someone else there to force me to actually go through with it. Cleaning party in my room?

goobaloo said...

Definitely! I do feel like I'm throwing out memories. Or at least the only things that will spark the memories. I probably won't give away my stuffed animals, but I don't have any space for them in my room. :\