Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Chloe Who Is a Ghost Who Is Afraid

"There are no boring places, only boring people. Do something exciting! Jump in that fountain! Swim around a little! Take some coins!"
"But they are wishes."

Please, come up to my room where there are boardgames and conversations to be had. We can grow old together and retire and cure the common cold or invent a new ice cream flavor. Perhaps in our old age we'll wind up living in a mansion infested by lethal table settings and colorful party guests. I collect vinyl records, did you know? Yeah, it's pretty rockin'. Sometimes I place the needle on Pink Floyd and ponder the past or the death of Paul, staring at the posters above my ceiling. I've been meaning to get those glow in the dark stars for a long time. Also I play a little guitar. I'll improv you a song if you'd like. I can't guarantee it will rhyme, but it will be original and for you.

"the point is not the communication of truth, but the truth itself. No one should ever say, 'come hear this speaker.' But rather: 'there is nothing you can to make god stop loving you.' Or not saying anything at all and loving someone."

I miss when religion was easy. After I watched the Mummy on a very terrible evening for an eight year old, I was terrified of the scarabs. I would go through my bed-time routine. Brush teeth. Check. PJs. Check. Stuffed animals. Check. Check. Check. The last step in the ritual is to go and flick off my light switch. However, because my light switch is outside of my room, when I reentered my room, I wouldn't necessarily know where everything was. I imagined that the scarabs had been waiting under my bed and were pouring out across the floor. So, I would run and jump across them into my bed. Of course, they could still crawl up over my sheets and me, so extra protection was needed. I would curl up as small as possible, imagining myself encased by a clear, white dome on a blue floor. God would hold me there. But just so I felt safe, he would put all kinds of lions and tigers and bears around the dome so I could see him protecting me. It made me very sad to lose my faith.

"It's okay to do a thing and not know why."

My brother learned to snap today. He's not very good at it, but I am proud of him.

"You did what you thought was best, but it was wrong."

Writing this, I was listening to the moth, which contributed the quote below. The storyteller was fantastic, a woman of "multi-racial, multi-cultural" background who turned down MTV for stereotyping. It forced me to wonder what stories would I tell? Can I go on for ten minutes in an engaging fashion? "Rainy Day Adventure" is too short. I could recount the whole venture of "the pit." There's "Romantic Summer '08" "Adventure Summer '09." Perhaps the many years of HiQ or the emerging English class with Mrs. A. I want to know what stories everyone would tell.

"You better get a chiropractor too, so you can be neckrollin' bitch #1 and neckrollin' ho' #2."

No comments: