Saturday, May 29, 2010

Prom!

Pre-Prom:
I had nails/pedicure at 3 and hair at 4. My mom scheduled these things thinking prom started I don't know when, but with this line up, I was not going to make it. We got to the nail place at 2 and canceled the pedicure, waiting 20 minutes before I could be seen, but finished by a little after 3.
(Notes on Acrylic Nails. Why would anyone ever want to get a pair of these things? The process of getting them put on was painful, chemical, and had flying particles of acrylic and real nail flying around the whole time in a terrible smell. After paying to have them put on, I am rendered effectively nonfunctioning. It's painful to type and text, impossible to untie knots, and very difficult to play guitar. I couldn't even get my cell phone's charger cover off last night, though that may've been compounded by severe sleep deprivation.) Anyways, we got to my hair around 3:15, putting it up in curlers and setting it under the warmers. Getting them off was a mess. My hair is so fine that it was catching onto the curles being removed as Ms. Betty was taking them out. Ms. Betty's been doing my hair since I was 2, and my mom was telling stories all over the salon that I used to run around this place singing my ABCs. It was getting to be 5 on the dot, and Ms. Betty wanted to make more adjustments, but fuck it, my hair was beautiful even it was relaxing faster than a rate we could combat it. My mom sped home, but there were slow people in front of us the whole way. Traffic was so bad on the last road we pulled into the firehouse to park instead of my driveway. I told my mom to go around and park in the driveway so I wouldn't have to hobble in my heels across the grass, but she declined. I rushed into my dress, my mom is incompetent at clasping things shut. I had watched a youtube video earlier how to apply smokey eye, and hallelujah I had, because I did not have time to find out how. Jumping into my shoes and shuffling outside for quick pictures, we sped over to Steve's and took more pictures there. The limo driver, Pat, could not find us, but it was alright conversation until then. In the time spent waiting, we crafted a bootineer for Steve out of a handy carnation and some baby's breath from my bouquet that we taped together and pinned to his tux. It was legit. My dress filled my entire corner of the limo.

Prom:
Steve's uncle was the photographer, so he threw in some extra pictures for us. Our table was a power table, and despite Steve and I being the last ones there, I think it was the ideal arrangement. SHIRLEY TEMPLES! We headed over to the dance floor to meet with people and take pictures. People I didn't know were telling me I looked nice. It was unexpectedly pleasant. There's one picture where I'm getting "fingerbanged (Fonz'd)" by Dan and Steve, so I hope that one came out nicely. We returned to our seats for dinner. The utensils were so cold there was condensation on them. Joe M. taught us the neat trick of remembering bread goes on your left and drink on your right by making the lower case letters of your thumb and index finger pressing together at the tips. British school is like butler school. I had to request lettuce sans dressing, but those were some damn good croutons. Our table was good and waited to be dismissed by table, despite almost the entire area around us getting up without orders. We eventually heckled a server into letting us get up, though we did have our bribe money ready. The roast beef was unbelievably good. I liked the rolls (surprise!) and the mashed potatoes. After dinner, Sparks called out kids to the dance floor, so Steve and I boogied our way up. Once we got there, we were two of maybe 15 people on the floor, and we didn't know anyone else. I thought it would've been worse to slink away in shame, so we held out until the rest of our friends made it over. I was proud. Three songs later, we were told to go back to our tables for an annoucement. A colonial town crier annouced that the theme was "Post Prom Philadelphia 2010." Assuming it was 1776 Philadelphia, I told Joe he better watch his back. We resumed dancing, and I broke. it. down. Terribly. Steve danced a lot, and more so when Ching was there. I finally got to see Anna dance uninhibited, and it was AWESOME. At one point, too hot to dance any longer, I went outside to enjoy the cool night air. I had deceived myself about how cool it would be as it was outrageously humid, but still better than inside. I talked to Marty and Jason, and then a girl I didn't know recognized me. It was Corrine from the craziest 24 hours of my life. We hugged, and I was in shock she was here. We sorta reminisced on the only time we'd ever met and laughed. While walking back inside, I took a trip, but recovered so smooth the group applauded. After much more dancing, Lauren and I headed outside. I temporarily removed my shoes at the example of Jennica, but Lauren said she was gonna last it out. I said if she could do it, I could (though my shoes were higher, and I was dancing a lil' more actively). Dancing was occasionally interspersed by trips to sit down and one to the bathroom which I had not considered the logistics of my dress at all. The first slow dance was Amazed by Lone Star, and I could see a table of friends, and we were sharing profuse smiles. I don't know the name of the second one, but I was grinning for so long my face hurt. Steve jokingly asked me if I was having fun. The last one, Here's to the Night, we danced closer and I got sorta reminiscy. We hugged at the end of each of the songs. The last song was completely unfortgettable and Sparks Entertainment is atrocious. He should finally effing graduate. We rushed to grab our stuff and head out, even though we realized we had no way to contact Pat, the limo driver. Anxious as we walked out (me even more so because Lauren and I agreed we could take off our shoes in the car), we saw that Pat was right at the exit. It was AWESOME. We thanked him, got in, and my shoes were off. We opened the windows and had some good conversation.

Post Prom: We checked in. I looked for my dad. I got changed. I looked for my dad. I went into the auditorium to check out my poster and teared up just a lil' bit. Starting at the As, I went through and wrote on the people's I wanted to. Then my dad called to find and hug me when I got back to the Gs. People thought Jack's was really cute. I got a henna tattoo, and afterward, realized I got the same on last year in a different spot. My tarot card reader said that she felt school was easy for me and that there will be lots of academic success in the future, and a lot of changes in 3 months. Ooh. Scary. As I walked away, I realized I was wearing my HiQ shirt. My dad found me again when I was trying the "hit the bell" game. I got, like, 10, and then 15. My dad heckled me, and then I got 47. Katie D. chickened out on our agreement "I'll do it if you do it." I had a really nice conversation with Kira and Emily. Around 3:20, Lauren and I retired to the auditorium to watch the end of Rocky, which I'd never seen and still effectively haven't as he was only yelling, "Adrienne! Adrienne!" We were mostly talking. At 4, everyone was called into the auditorium for dismissal. This took way. too. fucking. long. However, as intermittent entertainment, Steve went up and told a joke. Then Eric P. went up and did practically a whole stand up routine on demand. It was hilarious. 40 minutes or so later, we finally got dismissed only to wait in line for our door prizes. I won a $20 gift certificate to California Tortilla. Thusly, Steve won a $20 gift certificate to California Tortilla, as I dislike Mexican food. I think my favorite part was seeing how much effort all of the parents put into everything.

Post Post Prom: My dad picked up me and Steve in a golf cart to take us to his car. It was the white van, so Steve and I shared the passenger seat. I was yawning a lot while recounting the night to my dad. We dropped off Steve. I got into bed at 5:40, which is when my alarm goes off for school. The birds sounded like heaven, and I noticed crickets. I slept until 1:30, but only got up at 3.

No comments: