Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"He Models Genes"

During a TEDtalk on the moral roots of liberals and conservatives, the speaker surveyed the audience to determine what their political leanings were. There were more libertarians than there were conservatives. I giggled and giggled.

While browsing my book shelf organized as "Beloved Fiction," I stumbled upon Mrs. Dalloway, but momentarily thought she was the author and Virginia Woolf the character. Oops. For those interested, I eventually settled upon a book of short stories by Mark Twain. Now, for your enjoyment, some quotes from Mark Twain:

Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it.

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.

Be respectful to your superiors, if you have any.
-Mark Twain


One of the reasons I post these is because the second quote seems to capture the essence of TEDtalks. Sadly, my interest is likely a binge and not habit forming. I can only hope that some of my professors can manage such thrilling lectures at least once.

No comments: