Tuesday, August 10, 2010

TED Performancs

Dance

It's rare for me to think of dance as a legitimate form of art, because so rarely anything innovative seen in the public forum. My family is not much for arts and culture, so I've never been to the ballet or other movement performance. Still, I dream about dance. Ballerinas makes me feel ugly and loping, but stunned at the beauty of the human body. Most often, I herald the achievements of the mind and the creative spirit while ignoring the expressive body. This excerpt revitalized my appreciation. It's beyond my realm of imagination to the point it unnerves me for its oddness. It makes me forget the dancers are human and that gravity exists. Maybe the fact I dismiss its artistic potential is one of the reasons why it's so striking now.

[Edit: It's worth noting that this is the most erotic, most intimate interaction I've ever seen that I have not personally experienced. To communicate that tenderness is astounding, and something difficult to come across, even in music and literature.

Additionally, the movement is so natural, yet requires such unbelievable strength that it draws the comparison to spider silk. Even though I feel like such an irritating, flowery sell-out for that metaphor, it's appropriate.]

No comments: