Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanks-living

Loss prompts gratitude, even if that loss is only imagined. I've had a lovely last couple minutes eating green M&Ms, being thankful for everything from friends and family to apple juice. It's a beautiful life that I have apple juice, that I may never lack in apple juice.

I spent the evening out with Jake, Austin, Bubba, and Kevin. We baked a funfetti cake, or, Kevin did while the rest of us watched. A comment on scars prompted storytelling. I convinced 3/4 of the guys that my convection oven burn was, in fact, a chemical burn caused by the tentacle slime of a particular species of octopus. The truth behind their scars were more interesting. There are generally many more "dumb things you've done that caused injury" stories among guys than girls. However, providing everyone lives, they do make for excellent listening.

Perhaps it's in taking tips from Ceci, but I get a pretty good reaction from my storytelling. Admittedly, I like to think my stories are fairly fantastic as far as content goes, but a good delivery is indispensable. At least half my recent stories involve Jeff, though I sometimes hesitate to say his name repeatedly, as if my only adventures happened with him. Some nights of stories, it's true.

No comments: