Thursday, January 13, 2011

"This Film Is Not Yet Rated"

I don't think I'd ever seen a female orgasm on screen.

While I'm still trying to figure out what Netflix's angle is on producing the film, it's a powerful documentary none the less. Censorship is most certainly existent, what with a few corporations owning 90% of the American media, but I'd never realized to what extent my cinematic experience was being censored. For goodness sake! The MPAA is comprised of anonymous, average American parents, though all hired and fired the white, rich Republican, Joan Graves, and every appeals hearing has two members of the clergy present. Rating discussions are attended by major studio heads, and the chairwoman, Graves, both votes in the rating and is the tie-breaker in the event of a deadlock. She was appointed by Jack Valenti, former press manager for JFK and loyal aid to LBJ. This was the man who left Washington at the urge of Universal Studios to start the MPAA. He knew money, power, and politics and was in the pocket of major studios. There is immense collusion between the powerful I'm not aware of. Sometimes it's sneaky, and I don't always know where to look. This is blatant. Though, the movie did have to point me where to look.

No comments: