Wednesday, May 18, 2011

It Sets In

I saw Matt's status today, that his phone is out of commission, so I purposefully checked Jamie's Facebook allusions. "Rome is calling, dare I answer?"

When I applied for the program, I entertained the thought of posting a status, "...is going to Italy." or some such sentiment. Still, my fear of embarrassment held off until I was actually accepted into the program, prompting a more excited, "IS GOING TO ITALY!!!!" There were multiple exclamation points.

I really am glad to be in the GVal this summer. I learned how to talk to people and not be intimidated while I was away, so I'm going to have my life on better terms and with good people. It'll even be a little more wild to try to make up for not being away, but ultimately just another suburban summer.

I won't drink. I won't wear make up every day. I won't get my hair cut short. I won't fuck strangers. I won't go to a nude beach and feel glamorous. I won't try new food. I won't have traveled to Europe. I won't have been responsible for myself in a foreign city. I won't have cried in public over the majesty of human achievement. I won't be scared, though likely still lonely. I won't buy fresh food from a market. I won't cook my own meals. I won't visit my Dutch family. I won't travel by sleeper train. I won't have dealt with jet lag. I won't be aware of cultural differences. I won't sketch and paint a gorgeous city. I won't see important monuments. I won't see famous art. I won't stay in a hostel. I won't be any more exotic at the end of this. I probably won't even get that tan.

No comments: