Sunday, December 21, 2008

Soco Amaretto Lime

Tonight was the commencement of The Power Pit Reunion Party, though only four of the original power pit were in attendance. Jeff and I spent the beginning of the afternoon with Viv, watching hilarious YouTube videos and kittens and somethingawful and cryptwalking and general hilariousity. From there we drove to Matt's to eat some cookies and listen to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. Three kids lying in his living room surrounding a boom box spewing the general humour and political commentary of NPR. It was gorgeous. After the program we had to leave after being distracted by the TI-NSpire. On the way into Nicki's development, a track had begun playing that Jeff wanted me to listen to, but he said there wasn't enough time. While it was enjoyable to hear about the exotic college lives of other students, it felt like an exceedingly lengthy party. Molly and I had a tickle fight, Sarah C. brought an unusually large amount of animal crackers, and it was all around a warm time recalling fond memories rather than making them. Sleepy Gina left before me, though I was similarly batting eyelids. Jeff was going to bring me home to my mom's, and it was the second time in a month I've cried in front of him. The song was Soco Amaretto Lime, and the memory was not mine, but the thought of it brought tears of jealousy for their beauty and friendship. A boy I do not know who plays guitar and drinks and parties was playing his instrument alone on stage for baccalaureate. Soco Amaretto Lime by Brand New. Towards the end of the song, his friends stood up in the crowd and sang. They sang with him, "We'll stay 18 forever. You're just jealous 'cause we're young and in love." At every party, no matter what stage of sobriety or drunkenness, they would stand and sing this song together before leaving. Driving home in the car with Jeff, I thought how there cannot be anything more perfect and beautiful in the world, and how I do not think I will have that. I teared up, I could not speak. I thought of the last time the pit felt like home. When Trisha, Matt, Abby, Sarah, and I, those who would be there through our graduation, could take anything with a grain of salt and humour and maybe a little song and laugh. How I thought that they would the people to have life altering revelations with in the dark of night, screaming in cars to music we could sure as hell learn to play, and staying out under the stars in a giddy stupor until we had a memory worth writing about. I remembered my time of existence when I was young and in love, and was jealous of those who still are and how close and how far everything seems. Graduation is not far away and the new year is not far away, and suddenly tomorrow will be next year's celebration of our last year together and then the last year will be gone and moved on. And I cried and he hugged me saying "It's not a red light, but that's alright. Do you just miss stuff?" [pause and nod], "I do too." And I cried at the way he said it, but it was good.

I love you guys.

2 comments:

Abby J. said...

i love you. this made me cry more than my "i miss the pit" post did. the first night that i have my driver's liscence, i want to drive around with you and sing freshmen and half jack and any other ben folds or dresden dolls song we used to sing damnit.

goobaloo said...

(:]