Monday, March 23, 2009

Best Drumline Ever

There is a particular note I did not realize was a double stop. It was easy to fix, but in the process, Katie called me, "special." Molly laughed, but said that it was because of how adorable I looked when I fixed it. I don't believe it, and she's just jealous that I'm special and Katie didn't outright call her special, even though she's special too.

Later!

The point in Exlposive where we have the jacket switch, Molly and I are crouching behind our instruments. I decided to make a funny face at her. Apparently, when I had my mallets set and crazy face on, I looked like some little thing ready to eat dinner, utensils in hand. She stood up to play, and collapsed in laughter over her instrument. I, in turn, began laughing until I had tears in my eyes. Both of us missed that rep. Then, Katie told us how we had to appreciate these moments because after college they don't happen anymore.

The last few measure of Exlposive are super extreme and a lot faster than originally practiced at. We managed the technical aspect, but it led to a LOT of potential/hilarious visuals. Tom was acting them out for all of us. To rehydrate myself, there was a bottle of water encased within my mallet bag. Convenient! I stopped a second to take a refreshing drink, just as Tom performed the "instrument switch rainbow" and I burst out laughing, spilling water all over my xylophone. I used my cover up to mop up the droplets, but nicked my arm in the process. Fiberglass splinters!

There was a really extreme action, where on beat 3 we brought up our left mallet. Beat 4, our right mallet. Beat 1, snap to attention and play. Overall, hilarious. The last beast, we tried various assortments of "shooting stars," "rainbows," and "excited jumps."

Upon being dismissed, I pulled ahead of Rose in a nasty bit of trickery to get to the doors and out of the gym before her. However, I did stop to help her out. Then, we raced back to the band room! I took the straight line between the booths; she navigated between the glass cases. I won, but was much out of breath.

Molly and I skipped a lot.

1 comment:

Sparks-of-Magic said...

I laughed just reading that. Oh man, I can't ever imagine not laughing that much, silly Katie and her depressing thoughts.

I wasn't jealous, it was the TRUTH.

I love skipping and making you fail at moving the gong. :D

Love you!