Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Newton's Third Law: F- Society on Girl (Girl Pushes Back)

I used to giggle and turn away when he made eye contact with me.
Now there is just turning away.
What a shame.

"Women's virtue is man's greatest invention."
There is a certain sadness to sexual enlightenment. My body is a biological miracle, to maintain functioning for more than a minute, let alone seventeen years. Fantastic and horrendous visions from my imagination can never match the awe of human contact or the ecstatic pleasure derived in processes I do not understand from single cells working together to create some intangible heaven I cannot express.

"Rose is a rose is a rose." Human beings do not live by that simplistic mantra of simplistic existence. A body is not a body, and a body touching another body is a completely different matter entirely. For a girls, it seems simple enough to give pleasure and accept pleasure. In modern society, it's difficult for a man to restrain a woman from using her body as she sees fit. To do so would be illegal, ignoble, and nothing any modern woman would stand for. And yet, this patriarchal ideal of virtue has been so long ingrained, that women turn against each other. Women hold each other to inhumane standards of moral purity, resulting in a choice between satiating a physical, biological desire, or preventing pariah status. Even after liberation, there is social stigma in the words "slut" and "whore." We've set in place bureaucratic rules of restraint and silly head games that prevent any straightforward interactions between men and women. I still complicate things for myself by reverting back to this mundane system. If something is as straightforward as "it feels good and I am kind," I subject myself to moral interrogation. I do not allow myself to contentedly accept well-being and happiness.

No comments: