Monday, February 15, 2010

Athazagoraphobia

"Don't let yesterday take up too much of today." The first time I saw this sign, it read, "If I act like somebody else, who will be me?" Driving around last night with the windows open and music blasting, my thoughts were bouncing between then and now. The days I walked out there. The nights I wished I was walking.

It's snowing again.

Besides the sunlight, I miss walking.

"So here is the point of everything I have been trying to say. If I were to give a brace to you, now, I would measure your wrist twice." I would like to reread Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. It would remind me of Viv and Jeff and the summertime. I would like to pour out my soul in touch tone. 696664746734222446464774377668247434776653263426769688641

"Stalin found out about the community and sent his thugs in, just a few days before I got there, to break all of their arms! That was worse than killing them! It was a horrible sight, Oskar: their arms in crude splints, straight in front of them like zombies! They couldn't feed themselves, because they couldn't get their hands to their mouths! So you know what they did!"
"They starved?"
"They fed each other! That's the difference between heaven and hell! In hell we starve! In heaven we feed each other!"
"I don't believe in the afterlife."
"Neither do I, but I believe in the story."

No comments: