Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Dreaming of Warmer Climes

"Because of you, the heady perfumes of summer pain me; because of you, I again seek out the signs that precipitate desires: shooting stars, falling objects."
-Pablo Neruda

I asked my dad if he ever remembered his dreams. He said he doesn't dream so much anymore. Back when he was married to my mom, she complained that he laughed in his sleep. The source of his laughter is one of those eternal mysteries.

I’ve thought myself out of happiness one million times, but never once into it.
— Jonathan Safran Foer

Summertime, laughter, dreaming, naps, the Brandywine, shooting stars, stencils, bonfires, grass, smiles, balloons, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, Viv's away messages, pancakes, fireworks, clementines, acoustic guitar, candlelight, satin sheets, dried flowers, local history museums, bare feet, blonde hair and a sundress, warm breezes, the Gristmill, stained glass, dappled sunlight, idea book, Sharpies, singing, screaming, sneaking out, lemonade, cloud watching, God rays, monkey balls, Bright Eyes, free stuff, my necklace, songwriting, hammocks, little birds, cats, homegrown, gardening, farmer's markets, smokey whispers, apples, hayrides, barns, running through a cornfield, windchimes in harmony, holding hands, crazy socks, M&Ms

"things are so easily lost. things just can't be kept forever."
-Bukowski

At one point, JT K. lived down the road from me. He was out skateboarding in the funeral home parking lot, and I invited him to have lemonade with me. We talked for a bit, sitting on the top of my picnic table. I'm sure he doesn't remember it.

"The charm of the past is that it is the past."
-Oscar Wilde

No comments: