Friday, July 9, 2010

Indescribable Feeling (But I'll Give It a Shot)

First off, I have been in the most fantastic mood since Sunday. My dad and I spent the afternoon together, then ate dinner outside after the first successful test run of the grill. It really felt like summer, despite the fact it was already the 4th of July. Uncle Mike had us over for Sun Valley's fireworks as per usual. Since then, I've been so stupendously warm feeling. Every single day this week has had some wonderful, fantastic adventure with great people that I'm grateful to know. Monday saw the Brandywine followed by Lauren's pool party and ended with a sweet front porch evening. Tuesday I hung out with Joel and saw Jeff's hockey game, that night was so happy it lingered into Wednesday, which is when I finally had Juliana over for our sleepover. Thursday had me a little worried, because I was going with Meg and Stasi to Automm's. I'm not terrified of social situations, I get nervous about talking to people sometimes. Automm had two of her friends over, which got me a little stuck at first, but I told myself to get through it. One of my biggest fears is that I will have many acquaintances and no friends at college. I didn't want to be scared though. The person that I want to be is bubbly and outgoing and easy to engage in conversation, but that's not going to happen unless I practice. I thought about the magnetic personalities in my life, and what they would do in this situation. It wasn't a long thought, but I vowed to be fearless and funny and friendly. It worked! I told stories and evoked laughter and felt comfortable to be myself, even around strangers. The entire ride home, even stuck in an extra forty minutes of traffic, I felt so enveloped by joy. I often take my current friends for granted, but that time allowed me to be stunned by the people I'm surrounded with. I finally felt like I can be the person I hope to be. At home, wrapped up in bed, I couldn't stop smiling.

1 comment:

sfrieson said...

Just reading your story made me happy. I am glad to see that two of us had great weeks!