Thursday, December 23, 2010

Censorship Wreck

On this blog, I almost never directly reference Jeff except in recollection of daily activities. Being a teenage girl, thus subject to emotional afflictions, and this blog, being quite generally a public diary, it is perfectly natural that I should write frequently about the relationship that has unequivocally influenced my adolescence. The pertinent word is public. This material may be found at any time, by any associate of mine, with or without my knowledge. In addition to the potential strangers, there are the recurring few who ever so occasionally check in on my scribbling.

Pens are mightier than swords, and keyboards are faster too. I recognize that everything I write here can create direct, real-world consequences, not necessarily negative, and not necessarily directed at me. Until I alter the privacy settings, it is in my best interest to publish without conflict, necessitating censorship. Still, there seems to be a number of times when my vague and cryptic posts retain their subject despite redacting. Analyzing my own writing, I've concluded immaturity. However, the personal necessity of public censorship in otherwise intimate content leads to an interesting approach in analyzing literature outside of myself.

Currently reading Bridges of Madison County, I've found too much presence of authorship as a result of this thinking. The novel claims to be reconstructed from diaries and public sources, such as newspaper articles, accordingly, I'd expect a gritty, truthful feeling to the book. Unfortunately, the poetic style, while nice, seriously detracts from the reality. Life doesn't happen so sensuously, destroying any belief I could've had in the content.

No comments: