Thursday, February 10, 2011

Super Bowl Party

Tonight after the orchestra, I called my mom to tell her about my day/how it went meeting the family I'll be serving as a companion for. I hadn't talked to her on the phone since Saturday, so I asked how her Super Bowl Party had gone. It was so adorable to see her get excited for it. She bought real cards from the dollar store with a fancy black/white scheme that she picked out from all of the other cards that implied what the function was about. These were classy things. We talked about what chips she'd have and where to put them on the table, and who she could invite, because she couldn't have a really big shin-dig because not everybody would be able to fit in her teeny apartment. It was the first party she'd hosted, in, well, ages! She wound up with about ten people on the invite list, and wrote her cards and handed them out. Only four of her friends showed up. Well, Caroline couldn't make it, so Tom didn't bother going either. And Barry and Angel went to visit a nephew, so they weren't there. And the people who did come, everyone except Jim left after an hour or two. "I felt dumb and really stupid for having this party. I guess I just won't have another one."

This was so much more painful to hear than I would've expected.

No comments: