Monday, July 7, 2008

Night Walks

My brother asked me at 11:15 last night if I wanted to go for a walk.
"Yes?" I replied, "when?"
"Tonight, at 12:15 with Markie." (She's his ex-girlfriend and current friend.)
"Ok, I'll be reading and txting until then."

12:14 rolls around so I tell my brother to get up. We were both dressed, but he needed to put on his shoes. I opened the door, and he spent forever trying to shut it. Quietly we shuffled past my dad's windows and ran across the street into the churchyard. We saw Markie as we came out and started walking down Naaman's Creek. There was talking, some laughing a bit too loud. I told stories and that the silhouettes were dog cut outs and not real deer. They said it was too far when we were around the corner. The series finale of Phil of the Future and some excellent Rock Band followed. I shared my gossip and played the drums. We started walking home, but out towards Marsh. Street lights flickered and went out. Cigarette butts that was actually pot were flung at us. Norcrest got us lost. I take some of that blame. We only saw one cop. Pat says there's a curfew. We got damp and tired and free.

No comments: