Monday, July 21, 2008

Nights and Days of Summer

For one of the few times in my life, my day began with midnight.
That was the agreed upon time for I to sneak out of my house and meet up with Dave somewhere along Kirk road in the shadows cast by an almost full moon. (It was almost full because Dave's anarchist calendar said the full moon was Friday). He left a little before midnight so that he could get out of Concord Township, which does have a midnight curfew for minors, and into Bethel which doesn't. The air was pleasantly warm and I got a little bit sticky, but there weren't many bothersome bugs. Crossing into the Farmer's Market parking lot I could hear music that vaguely sounded like the Grateful Dead or upbeat Phish. I txt'd Dave this and he responded with, "Dance!" By the time I gt the response it was out of earshot. A car pulled out of its neighborhood just as I was passing the entrance. "What are you leaving at midnight for?" I thought. Then imaginary hit myself in the head. Kirk Rd. is absolutely unpleasant at night, but better than during the day even though you can't see what potential sticker bushes I may have been running into to when I hid. We met up somewhere before Hetty's neighborhood, and then walked back in the direction he had come from. I was wearing black, so according to him I morphed out of the trees. Both of us had been scared the other was going to jump out of a clump of bushes and frighten them. Neither of us knew anyone too well in the area who wouldn't mind seeing us after midnight, so we walked to Wawa. Keith wasn't working, which was the only bad part of the night. Dave got a Strawberry Milkshake f'real and not f'fake. We talked about varied topics, YouTube, AP Chem, the USPS, Apple crashing the internet, and how we both agree that the milkshake machine in Wawa reminds us of Star Wars.

Dave knew of two places where we could sit and enjoy the milkshake. One he said was often covered in beer cans and cigarette butts, so instead he suggested we go to the Darlington Arts Center even though we weren't going to a lesson or a recital, nor were we hosting a lesson or a recital. He drank the remains of his melty strawberry shake, and I showed him my doodle summary of our most recent last Friday together and my vacation. He walked over to the asphalt, and although it wasn't warm when I tested it either, we both laid out under the cloudy sky. We talked for what felt like forty minutes like this, were startled by a meowling cat, and groaned when the Central Air in the nearest building turned on. At some point, we fell silent, and I watched the clouds pass in front of the moon and stars. Occasionally I would inhale and exhale and attempt to move my hand closer to his. After several microscopic movements closer, I finally managed to bring my knuckle into the slightest contact imaginable with his skin. SUCCESS! I was chilly, so I had to try very hard not to shake and break the contact. Aftertwo minutes like this, he reached over and took my hand in his, and we held hands silently under the stars and watched the constellations move for another hour. I watched the moon rise, saw a pentapus in the sky, exclaimed, "Salud!" when Dave sneezed after the lights went out, and closed my eyes and sighed and tried not to shake with what I now wasn't sure was just the cold or also anticipation. I could have gone for the kiss, but afterwards, what would I do? I didn't want to get up until the sun did. At about ten minutes until four we realized that we had to stop procrastinating because Dave needed to get into his house before his dad did, and I didn't know if I could get back into my home.

We parted ways on Featherbed with a very warm, enveloping hug, and I sang all the way home. As far as I recall, this is my song list.

Do You Believe in Magic?
Chasing Cars
On My Way
Lizzy
A bar or two of Wasted and Ready
Hallelujah
Wish You Were Here
Four to eight bars of Help!
Hey Jude
Let It Be
Old Man

Getting into the house, it was unlocked so I don't believe I was found out. I listened and sang along to Chasing Cars as loud as I could dare and I felt more like a crazy, emotional, silly, wonderful, romantic, infatuated teenage girl than I could ever remember.

------- -------------------- --------

I woke up at nine and didn't get back to sleep for another half hour of so. Woke up again at two minutes before eleven when my alarm was supposed to go off. Got dressed, gathered books together for Nicki, ate an apple with a bottle of water, and listened to girly romantic music. Nicki picked me up for our Great Creeking Adventure and off we drove to her house. We had a slight problem finding the entrance, but we followed a deer run and then down the creek we went, attempting to find where it attaches to a larger river. There was great covnersation, some harrowing moments when I thought the earth had opened to suck Nicki's entire right leg into the mud, a few barricades to cross over, and some great pictures. We saw some large minnows, four tires, two No Trespassing signs, a loud German short hair hunting dog, a very large spider, a rather large black snake, two horses who were very interested in us, and neat blue green phosphorescent dragonflies. We got a little past a bridge on Temple Rd. before we decided our timeline could not accommodate further exploration at this time. We walked back to the bridge and then took Temple to Smithbridge to Nicki's house which according to her mom is about a two and a half mile walk. We talked the whole way back and saw a dead goldfinch, which was very sad because they are cheerful little birds I hardly ever see near my house and many Teamsters going by on their motorcycles. Nicki and her dad had the combined effort to create Boardwalk impersonating home made lemonade (my first of the season), and I enjoyed the wonders of sitting down and central air. Then, my dad picked me up at about four thirty.

------- -------------------- --------

I puttered about, went to the renovated Safeway, ate a steak with some corn, and listened to wonderful music while lying out on my hammock at sunset. The weather was perfect with the most beautiful breeze. I weeded my tiny garden for a few minutes and then went over to my neighbor Greg's yard to talk to him and play with his Shih-Tzu puppy, Baily. At seven my dad took me over to Abby's house where I told my story of how adorable my morning had been and they talked about gossipy things that had gone on in Myrtle Beach. Then we went to Jeff's house. We sat out in the yard, and I waited for Gina at her house and met her grandparents. We came back, heard the thunder and saw lightning approaching, ate a bowl of lime Jell-O, and then went on an Adventure to the new ACME to find something more ridiculous than canned Octopus. Microwaveable Spotted Dick: Sponge Pudding in a can was the winner. Matt got Ginger Beer which is so incredibly powerful I couldn't stand it and my entire mouth was on fire. Then I asked for another sip. We got back to Jeff's, Abby had bought bread, Dave showed up, we all went to the basement and loudly screamed about Mac vs. PC. Jeff's mom got angry at us for baking (?) and then the night dissolved into talking and whispering and snuggling under blankets to avoid the basement cold and bringing cookies to Dave because he had left early and singing with Viv the most terrible, lewd, wonderful song in the world about crystal meth and oral sex. I then showered, changed into sleepwear, checked Facebook, checked Nicki and Jeff's blogs, wrote a blog, wrote this blog, and will shortly unchange, get into bed, listen to wonderful girly music, and fall asleep awaiting the morning.

xoxo
<3

No comments: