Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Gotta Hot* Date and Good Friends and Schemes

*Humid would be more accurate. It was positively nasty outside.

Joel and I went to see Despicable Me today. It was adorably in the style of Pixar, but without the cohesion and incredible story telling. The kids in the audience enjoyed a number of the slapstick scenes, but the adults I think were most amused by the Bank of Evil (formerly Lehman Brothers). For all of its good points, I wouldn't recommend it unless you didn't have to pay, as Joel and I didn't by simply walking into the theater because nobody paid attention. I <3 Painter's. Afterward we went to the Grist Mill. Of course, the night was filled with a torrential downpour and the air felt like swimming, but hell, Nature! Because it was an impulsive visit, I was wearing flip-flops. Awesome choice? No, no they were not. My feet got muddy and itchy and I got stuck in my shoe in a way I would not have expected. I was significantly less attractive by the end of our hike.

He's a little overbearing in conversation, which isn't much conversing, but more a scrambling for related stories to fill the void of silence. I discovered I'm kinda freakin' selfish and don't feel particularly guilty about leading him on. I'm not being overtly sexual, but it's flattering attention and something to do. It's nice to know I could get dates in college.

Nick and Emily came over last night, so we hung out in the yard with Jack & Jack. We talked. We scowled. Nick ranted. We walked down to the lake to listen to bull frogs, and there were geese sleeping on the water. They left close to 3. It was a nice night.

There is no mallet percussion section in Temple's Marching Band. I was warming up to the idea of joining band as something to do. With all the free time of college, it will be imperative I get out of the dorm and out of my head. If I get down, I'll need something to force me to get out and laughing with other people. Thus being true, I've sent an inquiry about possibly joining the battery. I'm sure I'd get cymbals or bass drum or something shitty like that, but maybe I could make tenors (what a lovely delusion). Their band meets Mon.-Wed.-Fri. and the mornings of home games. It's mostly pop music that is played simply for crowd entertainment that changes game to game. Every student receives a scholarship, which might translate to tuition remission for me. It would be weird to have spending money. I could go to museums!

I made and bookmarked a list of every museum and book store in Philadelphia that offers interest, relatively cheap admission, and/or free events. I'll try to bop up to NYC some weekend to visit Steve and perhaps crash at his place if possible. Ceci has invited me down to DC to check out all of her free museums *so jealous,* which I would definitely like to take up. I'll be sure to have Emily and Jeff over to visit, and seriously anybody who could possibly desire a night's stay in Philly. I will make it my business to hang out with Viv and her arty friends. Plus homework and classes and hanging out with kids on my floor and generally bothering everyone to find common interests; I'm very excited for college, but still worried that I may not live as brilliantly as I could.

No comments: