Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sign Graffiti

Emily and I set out last night to paint the town gold (with black Sharpie accents). Our goal was to leave inconspicuous little messages throughout the area. The stars were absolutely radiant last night, and the air was cool and mosquito-less. We laughed. We talked. We defaced public property. Several spots in a lot were converted to Handicapable Parking, and there is no longer Barking allowed in a few areas. Admittedly, I would call some of the work vandalism and not art, but that is subjective for the viewer anyway. Most of the time, I feel my graffiti is justifiable as art. The stencils are usually of some creative merit, and more often than not clever (not that I'm biased or anything). I see no harm in messengers. However, my graffiti hypocrisy is most evident when it comes to tagging. Occasionally, I can appreciate the skill involved, the uniqueness, the daring, but 99% of the time I define it as vandalism. Of course, the enormous three piece monstrosities are works of awe and nearly always art. Towards the end of the night, we settled in the hammock because she had not thought to bring a sweater of any sort. It was conversation of the sort that can only be had in a hammock at 3 in the morning during your last summer of no obligations.

No comments: