Friday, July 30, 2010

Nearness of You

Okay, so I loved Nora Jones, not so much for her voice, but for her composition of the song "The Nearness of You." While continuing my search for the perfect Sinatra album today, I found that she merely covered it! While I appreciate a beautiful singing voice, I find the beauty of creation far more stunning and admirable. Alright, alright, I don't think Sinatra ever wrote a song, but his voice isn't beautiful, it's a classic tradition that is more connotation at this point.

Started on my super secret project today, which was exciting. I took care of an obligation, briefly met with Dan G., hopped over to Molly's, though she was busy, so walked over to Lauren's while she was finishing up. Both visits were pleasant and overdue. Sitting on Molly's floor was sad to feel the pressing of so many memories that are no longer relevant to who we are. Afterward, I dropped off something for Keith at Wawa and continued on my merry way home.

Pulling into my driveway, I called Nick F. up to see if he was still at the sale. With all great fortune, he was. AND! with his lil' sister! I joined them for lunch, then went downstairs to find the Sinatra album I'd been desperately seeking. No luck, but I did find a good one for a dollar, and have reasoned that Sinatra covered every song Billie Holiday ever sang. It's nice.

From there, we drove over to Nick's and hung out. We did a lot of driving today for not doing much. At one point, sitting in the living room, Nick opened a vague forum for suggestions of what to do. Myself a veteran of the VB creek, opted to make a dam. That suggestion was turned into "look for tadpoles," even though it's definitely not tadpole season (as was later proven with limited experimental data). So we drive away from the neighborhood to this "swamp," where a stream supposedly held the baby frogs. Nick, Alex, and I search through giant muddy tire tracks filled with gunk to no avail. We saw one frog, and in a moment of "What the fuck?" see a giant tire swing in the distance. Excitedly running over to it, we realize we are in a clearing of magic. I could probably describe it pretty well here, but it's something I want to keep vague until it can be seen in person. It's interesting.

We went back there after getting Liz, traveled to the Grist Mill where I showed them the geocaches and explained the concept to Alex, who was very amused. He and Nick came up with startling abuses of the system, but hilarious ones, admittedly. Returning to the home of Nicholas, his mom sliced up some steak for us to make sandwiches. Brilliant, as I hadn't eaten dinner and it was ~8 by this point. We watched most of Superbad (which I'd never seen), and then "What Would You Do?" for an hour. It was an evening I had not expected, and one that I will attempt to recreate for others.

No comments: