Saturday, January 1, 2011

First Adventure of 2011

I'd promised AJ that I'd take him building spelunking, whether he visited me in the city or not. While the Bethel Mansion had long promised an interesting exploration site close to home, only my brother had actually gone to visit its depths. The place is in fairly good condition for the number of windows that have been knocked out. We came in through the front window most devoid of glass, opening into a wood paneled den, immediately adjacent to the (grand) entryway. It is far too grand for us. The entryway is domed with golden scrollwork on shimmering blue. Water dripped onto everything, at once startling us for very closely imitating the sound of footsteps. Well, AJ rightfully imagined it to be the sound of walking. I imagined it to be the sound of a zombie eating brains. After all, the mansion is a lovely place to stage a film or a terrifying, small-town massacre. It's an interesting subject of exploration. Although we did not find the basement, nearly every room was searched. Upon finding a pantry sort of room, AJ found a large and beautiful locket of an owl, obviously meant for me. While it may only be beautiful for its history, that frequently happens with people. Later, on the roof, we discussed the pleasantries of living in such a building. I imagined myself a summer child, and the broken house as an extended fort.

No comments: