Sunday, September 28, 2008

Saturday

My dad woke me up at 9:15 to ask if I wanted to shower before the band competition. I said no, because he had woken me out of a dream and was still in dream paralysis. Although being woken mid-dream allowed me to remember it, so pretty much woke up horny. I sat in bed for another twenty minutes before getting dressed and confused about what the hell cheering was outside my window. Oh right, the parade that I had intended to skip if it wasn't canceled for the band. Stupid cheerleaders, sucks they had to go. We got to the band room, I helped load up the pit stuff, and then sat on the bus with Abby for the hour long trip to Rising Sun, Maryland. The battery made it quite the hilarious ride, with Schade's imitation of the sorting hat being the highlight. It rained on and off during the ride, but not really anything more than a drizzle. I hadn't eaten breakfast, so the two hot dogs and M&Ms at the snack bar was a life saver. Trisha and I chatted up the designated hosts who showed us around. They told us to get into full uniform on the bus, and on our way there it started raining just enough to make us damp and uncomfortable, but it stopped not even ten minutes later. Getting closer to what was supposed to be our performance time, we got off the bus and went around to the loading truck. Our instruments came off with not too many problems, even though Sarah, Trisha, and I complained about the band parents. There was a bit of a walk to the set up point, but there were enough band parents to help us get there. Almost immediately as we arrived in where we were supposed to be, it started dripping over our coverless instruments. I tried leaning over my marimba, but as it's a keyboard it wouldn't be too badly affected. Mrs. Glanfield threw her coat over the rosewood, Big Red, and then went back to grab the covers off the truck. I leaned over a snare until they returned. We moved our instruments under an overhang, but the majority of us spent the next forty minutes out in the pouring rain. That was when we got the call to move inside. Morale was low, but just before we were supposed to perform I got into the zone and had a fun, pretty decent performance. According to D we won best section, and because of our dedication in the rain, we pretty much applied that to best section forever. The hour long ride home wasn't as uncomfortably moist as I thought it was going to be, and I got animal crackers. Cleaning up didn't take as long as I'd predicted, and we left the covers to dry.

Dave's dad picked me up after everything was in its place, and when we got to his house, Dave let me borrow dry clothes and put mine in the dryer. We watched three score-less innings of the Phils, a few minutes of "Space Balls: The Animated Series," and the first half-hour of Rocky IV, where Soviet, Ivan Drago, kills Rocky's best friend, Apollo Creed, in what was supposed to be a good will match. For some ridiculous reason, Rocky then announces he's going to fight Ivan in Russia on Christmas, without consulting his wife. Dave then summarized the rest of the movie as a 35 minute training montage and the fight where he wins. I referenced the DBZ where Vegeta destroys the PSI measuring punching machine. His brother got out of the basement, so we went down there so I could play Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. I owned the first level as Vader because he's nearly indestructible, and it had some pretty good cut scenes. Dave switched to his profile and brought down a Star Destroyer with just the Force. We watched off the Phils, (Go Rollins!) then some fat comedian talking about people who take too long waiting in line. Then another fat comedian talking about being fat and loving the south. At 7:30 my dad called because I hadn't called (I thought he said call when you're ready, not call at the band room when I had talked to him on the bus). I got to stay until around 10 when the PSU vs. Illinois game should have been overish. We went upstairs and had a nice dinner of pizza from Cafe Riviera from the mall. Football is boring, and I was sleepy, but still highly impressed with Penn State's crazy white out. I got to spend the rest of my evening with his arm around me, yawning, and petting his dogs Boomer or Javelin. A fantastic evening despite the rain and sports.

<3

No comments: