Sunday, December 5, 2010

Last Nights

Friday night was the formal band party at the Maggot House. Tina lent me her "freak 'em dress;" Shay did my hair and makeup; Katy lent me her pearl earrings. I felt pretty as a politician's wife. Girls complimented my hair with warm words. Guy complimented my look with their eyes. Poppa Max told me to go break some hearts, I was lookin' so fine. Katy, Kat, and I hung out during the preparations process, reading Cosmo, talkin' 'bout boys. We eventually went with the unanimous decision to roll out in jeans and hoodies 'cuz it was so cold and windy that night. Upon arriving at the party, John D. scorned the lack of fancy, but soon relented once us ladies squashed up in the bathroom to strip down to our lil' dresses. As this night was a "fuck boys, I just wanna dance" kinda night, we were pumpin' the hip-hop jams. A few of us danced, but only during "Roses" was there a large chorus. Being at the Maggot House, there were a number of non-band kids present unaware that I don't drink. Dancing as I was, dressed as I was, there were some strong indicators that I was drunk. However, in reality, myself being a sober fox, I caught a number of guys staring and took notes on who ogles the drunk chicks. At one point, a kid passed out near the bathroom and started throwing up. John D., like a drunk child-ape, danced around hollering, "Look at this kid puking! Look at the kid throwing up!" I told him to shut up and helped move this kid into the bathroom. He almost pulled the porcelain top off the toilet onto himself, but I grabbed it before anything shattered, including his nose. The other guy helping me commended the catch and was surprised to find I was sober. After that, I wandered aimlessly through the party. I introduced Kira and Gab to a whole bunch of people no one involved will remember, but otherwise the night was over for me.

~~~~~

Yesterday, Matt came with me to the Divine Lorraine to help me film/stencil/fight off crack heads. He came over around 2, so I could have company while cutting out the stencil of Divine on the body of Jesus. (Of course, wanting a larger stencil but only having cardboard, I stupidly forgot how much I hate cardboard as a medium.) This abandoned hotel is two subway stops away, but eff paying for that, so we walked. To note, we saw a hot pink stretch Hummer on the way there. A garish contrast to the dilapidated elegance we were about to see. After circling the building for a way in, we discovered a wrenched open door that required a bit of maneuvering to get in. Being my lithe-self, I managed it pretty easily, but Matt is tall and geometric and almost got stuck. The door that we entered through was immediately adjacent to the basement, so that was our first, horrifying stop. While it would probably would have been perfectly quaint if well lit, the flashlight we brought was not sufficient to dispel my slight fears of humanoid, Quarantine-esque mutants. Not wanting to carry around my stencil for the rest of our exploration, I sprayed it near the doorway and abandoned the cardboard to its fate. The first floor still retained a lot of elegance. While it was also the most trash-bedecked, there was evidence of crown molding and columns, the two pink marble staircases arch up on the North and South sides of the building. For the entirety of our adventure, we elected to use the South side staircase, and for good measure, as we later found out. Once we were ready to start heading upstairs, I took a moment to film some of the original architecture while Matt investigated some other section. Once I put down the camera, I noticed my shadow was cast unusually dark across the room. I turned to my right as Matt entered the room and noticed my shadow hadn't moved. Within that very short, very terrifying moment, my shadow vanished out of sight. Less than a moment later, I was calm again, realizing it was just the benevolent resident homeless person. He told us it was fine if we took pictures, though that moment of horror was perhaps influenced by my thoughts of basement dwelling creatures. Every floor held new works of graffiti. There were more interesting things on the outer balconies, but as it got colder and darker, we more hurriedly took to the stairs rather than leisurely looking at bad tags and mediocre pieces. It was interesting to note that there was not a single other piece of stencil work in the building. While I recognize it's mostly a white thing, I thought it would be more prolific. Finally, we reached the top floor, home to an enormous atrium. I went out onto the balcony and took pictures of the city. It didn't take long for us to find roof access, the first time I'd roof'd it in Philadelphia. It was unbelievable. I was more fearless than Matt, but that also came with me almost stumbling backwards on a very slanted eave. There was more excellent graffiti on the roof than there had been anywhere else thus far. I freehanded a mark for myself, but Matt and I agreed to come back when he had planned out something for him to write. Part of it came with sadness and being alive and higher than the rooftops and losing the feeling of something important, but I wrote "invincible summer" and meant it.

No comments: