Thursday, August 14, 2008

Me

I walk on my tip toes, barefoot, night or day, love colorful knee high socks, remember things by what pair of socks I was wearing, and have two pairs of plain black Chuck Taylor's with holes in them. Whenever I get Chips Ahoy Chocolate Chip Cookies I organize them from most chips on top to least on the bottom, I eat the space around the word "CRUNCH" before eating the letters in a CRUNCH bar, I eat M&Ms in pairs of the same color. But not green, and not blue, because green M&Ms are my favorite and the blue ones are magic. Usually neither of my homes have too much food, so I eat a lot of white bread, unhealthy I know. Most of the time I shower in the morning and any chance I have to take a long one I do. Doing anything with my hair except putting it in a pony tail is out of the question. I know I've spent more of my time playing Pokemon games or with the action figures or pretending to train them with my best friend Kristin R. than I will ever spend studying for anything. I give credit to my being an atheist to Jeff, communist to Mr. Trabocco, and anarchist to Dave. I'm only a communist because my 10th grade AP European History teacher called me one and I decided to be the best damn communist he's ever seen. I have inherited psoriasis and almost guaranteed Alcoholism, so I don't want to find out. I've been going to AA meetings while I was still months old. My first and last best friend was Katy C., but she got into drugs and I turned my back on her. When I was in kindergarten I gave my other best friend Gabrielle my stuffed rabbit, Bobeese, that matched my Bobbers, so we could bring them in on the first day of school, but she changed schools and I only saw her one more time. There are three stuffed animals I routinely sleep with. Bobbers, a 1993 Easter Crayola/Hallmark rabbit, Bear, of unknown origin I got for Christmas in 1992, and Bobeese, who is the 1993 Crayola/Hallmark rabbit I bought on eBay to replace the original. I went to preschool at Mr. Jim's and I thought my friend Kevin was lying when he explained to me that negative numbers existed when I was six. My house is over 100 years old with a barn, a walnut tree, a tire swing, and hammock. There are usually at least two tractors, a broken go-kart, and two or three broken dirt bikes lying around the house that my dad may or may not get around to fixing. The driveway hadn't been paved since the early 80s, and then again when I was 15. On the outskirts of my property there's three pear, a cherry, Granny Smith apple, and peach tree. We used to have a large rectangular garden, but the rototiller broke, so there's just grass. When my neighbor got a new truck, they gave us the plastic flatbed coating, and it was my "kitchen" to make mud pies and I was damn good at it. The basement in my house is bare rock and dirt floor, possibly with some dead animals. I didn't know that this was unusual until I was around eight. My room is an addition my dad built, so in some places you can see out of holes in the wall. There used to be birds living in said wall, and the babies would wake me up sometimes, but they were cute. Once we had a sparrow named Braveheart that lived outside and was a female, but would come within one step of us, and a squirrel named Cosmo who would eat peanuts from your hand. There are creepy China dolls and wooden ducks on our bookcase. When I was five I got to go to the rodeo for my birthday, but my brother and I complained too much about wanting ice cream so we left and I still haven't been to one. They separated when my brother was too young to know what it meant, and I didn't realize that us living in a rented house with mismatching furniture was odd until my mom pointed out that every one of my friends lives in a large house in a neighborhood. I hadn't been clothes shopping at a place that wasn't Goodwill or a similar thrift store since 6th grade when I first came to the school. There I met Katie R. and she was my best friend for a long time. We were so silly together and made plans to build a pirate ship and sail her creek. Before that I went to a private Baptist school where I was in a business venture called Quad. L. for its founders. My mom was born in the Netherlands, but my pop-pop refused to be called Opa because it made him sound old. He used to make the best omelets, had a chance to purchase Harry's Savoy Grill, and was the first man to grow banana plants outdoors in Delaware. There were tulips everywhere in his yard and there's a kid on my bus who I think wears the same cologne he did. I don't remember my Oma very well because she died when I was five and the funeral was in Holland, but her name was Lillian and the pictures of her are beautiful. I've never been west of Pennsylvania or out of the country, but I visit a great little place named Ocracoke where the sun sets out of the ocean in front of our screened in porch. When I was four and at my grandmother's I was hit by a car and my mom swears that's why I'm afraid to drive. We used to go on family creeking adventures in her backyard, catching crayfish and catfish and making stories. My aunt Jeanne dedicated a story to me that she illustrated called Adventures in Wuzaland. It's wonderful and every time I was there I'd ask her to tell it to me, even though it got changed a little bit each telling. I joined band in 8th grade because I had a crush on Matt McMinn. I've never looked back, and only that summer regretted it.

No comments: