Monday, June 23, 2008

Flight vs. Invisibility

"One super power is about something that's obvious, and the other is about something that is hidden. I think it indicates your level of shame. A person who chooses to fly doesn't have a lot to hide, but someone who wants to be invisible, clearly wants to hide themselves."

"Do you feel you want to be hide yourself?"

"I want, to... uh... I'd like to not, I'm not going to answer that question."

-John Hodgman and his friend Christine

"First of all, I think that a lot of people are going to tell you they would choose flight, and I think they're lying to you. I think they're saying that because they're trying to sound all mythic and heroic, because the better angels in our nature tell us that the better thing we should strive for is flight and that's noble and all that stuff. But if everyone was being honest with you, they'd be invisible because they'd want to shoplift and get onto flights for free."

"Anyone, faced with this choice, in their heart of hearts, would choose invisibility?"

"Yes."

-John Hodgman and unnamed woman

In the end, it's not a question of what kind of person flies, and what kind of person fades, we all do both. Perhaps that's why, when I put the choice to myself, I'm hopelessly and completely stuck. At the heart of this decision, the question I really don't want to face, is this: Who do you want to be? The person you hope to be, or the person you fear you actually are? Don't rush into it ...Think it over. Which would you choose?

-John Hodgman

No comments: